Morehouse Farm Fishery, 20th October 2013

It's been a month since I'd been on the bank and I was itching to get out.  Pikey organised a match at Morehouse Farm Fishery in East Sussex which proved too tempting to miss out despite the weather!  A 6am wake up call with it raining heavily didn't look fun, but I had to get out.

I arrived at the fishery with plenty of time to spare and met up with the lads.  Today would be a mix of MFS members and Morehouse Farm locals.  We would be fishing the Sidewinder lake which is a mix of a snake type lake and open water with a causeway and island to go at.

The Draw
It was quite a windy day and having never fished here I wasn't too worried about which peg I had.  I draw Peg 42 which had two margin swims and open water in front.  If I wanted to fish over I'd have to break out the bomb or method rod.

The Set-Up
I decided that I would only set up the pole and my swims were as follows:
  • Margin to my left and right
  • 6 metre line straight ahead at full depth and shallow
I spoke to Simon at Morehouse and also Pikey about baits etc and the advice was 4mm pellets, expanders, 4mm meat, some corn and a little bit of sweet F1 groundbait.

Morehouse Farm provides their own keepnets and landing nets which are very kindly delivered to your pegs.  There is a sensible 50lb net limit with leeway to 60lb, anything over knocked back to 60lb. 

The All-In
Ray on Peg 43
The match kicked off at 10:30am and would be 6 hours in total and I started by potting in a small ball of groundbait laced with 4mm pellets and a few kernels of sweetcorn on the 6 metre line and went straight over the top of it.  I could throw 4mm pellets to this line and threw a pinch of 4mm pellets every couple of minutes in order to attract the fish.  It took 10 minutes for the first fish which was a small skimmer.  In the first hour I had only put 5 fish in the net, meantime my neighbours, Ray on Peg 43 and Stuart on peg 39 where catching at a steady rate...

I noticed that Stuart who is a local to Morehouse Farm was fishing shallow on his 5 metre line and the rate of feed was a lot more than mine, so I up'd my feed rate and threw a pinch of pellets every 30 seconds.  this started to give me better results and the fish started to respond.  I was using sweetcorn on the hook combined with lifting and dropping the rig.

In the third hour it was clear the fish had come up in the water, so I tried the shallow rig.  It took about 20 minutes to find the right depth before I got into a rhythm.  All the time I had been throwing the luncheon meat into my margin swims.

I found that I was having to switch between my shallow and full depth rig in order to keep in touch with the fish but I was well behind Ray and Stuart.

The rain then started... it was a case of battening down the hatches as it absolutely bucketed it down.  At this stage I went in the margins as it was a lot easier to hold the pole in the wind and rain.  I took some good F1's from both margins.  The margin rig was set just down the shelf and using sweetcorn as bait I could judge when I was in the right position, to deep and the rig would sink, to shallow and the float would sit proud.

Heading into the final hour I switched between the 5 metre line and the margins but I knew that I wasn't in the race so just sat back and enjoyed the final hour's fishing.

The Result
58lb-8oz for nowhere... Chip shopped by Ray and Stuart, i.e. Battered on both sides!!!  Well fished guys.

Peg 18.........Happy Dangler..............76-2-0
Peg 19.........Pikey..............................93-2-0........3rd
Peg 20.........Squeeky........................60-0-0
Peg 23.........Rob (Owner)..................51-14-0
Peg 28.........Charles (Foreign Chap) 60-12-0
Peg 33.........Colin...............................52-10-0
Peg 36.........Big Bloke........................68-2-0
Peg 37.........Jim Spurs.......................10-6-0
Peg 39.........Stuart (Local).................123-10-0.....1st
Peg 42.........Lewy...............................58-8-0
Peg 43.........Ray.................................96-6-0..........2nd
Peg 48.........Dilly................................53-0-0
Peg 49.........Matt (Local).................84-4-0.......4th
Peg 50........Jack.................................68-6-0


Conclusion

The F1's at Morehouse Farm are of a good size and typical finicky biters, lifting on the slightest touch hooked the fish.  I only lost a couple of fish during the whole day, coupled with a few foul hookers I felt that I did the best I could on a new fishery.  Definitely an enjoyable fishery, well manicured and ample parking.  I look forward to the next match there Pikey! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lake Semerwater, Wensleydale, 15th May 2022

Renny Lakes, East Harlsey, 14th May 2023

Lake Semerwater, Wensleydale, 13th November 2022